Sunday, September 6, 2015

Reality Check

Maddie woke up an hour earlier than usual this morning, and I was so annoyed. Unreasonably  annoyed. I watched her on the monitor, trying to fall back asleep, but unable to find her pacifier. As she lay there whine/crying, I found myself thinking, you're not even trying! Look around, move your blanket, find your pacifier and go back to bed! After a few minutes, I could tell she wasn't going to fall back asleep on her own. Begrudgingly, I stumbled into her room, found her pacifier and passed it to her. But she reached her arms up to me instead of laying back down, so I picked her up and went to the glider.

As I sat there rocking my sleepy baby, I was suddenly overcome with guilt. There I was, complaining about losing a "precious" hour of sleep on a Sunday morning, when families around the world are facing enormous struggles. Hunger, war, disease. How foolish of me. To even waste my brainpower lamenting my loss of sleep while I snuggled my healthy girl in our modest but beautiful, safe, happy home.

My mind wandered to the news articles I've been reading this week about the Syrian refugees who are fleeing their war-riddled country, seeking safety and a better future for their families. Their country has been in turmoil for years, but the recent photo of a toddler washed ashore in Turkey has garnered world-wide attention. My heart just breaks for the father of that boy, and the many families facing decisions like the one he made. I cannot even begin to imagine their pain and suffering. I am so fortunate to live in a safe place, where we can play in our yard, at the park, at the grocery store, without fear of bombs or missiles or bullets whizzing past. We have plentiful food, water, education, plumbing, heat and A/C, freedom, health, wealth, happiness.

You better believe you'll see a change in me after this stark reality check. I've been a bit of grump lately, and for no good reason really. Sure, I did lose my dog last month, work has been stressful, life has it's hiccups, but good gracious I have so much to be grateful for, and I am beyond thankful for all of the wonderful people and blessings in my life.

Happy Labor Day weekend, all. I hope you have a safe, wonderful weekend with your family and loved ones.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you'd like to find ways to help those in need in Syria, check out the following recourses:

http://www.mercycorps.org/countries/Syria

http://www.unicefusa.org/mission/emergencies/conflict/Syria

http://www.savethechildren.org/site/c.8rKLIXMGIpI4E/b.7998857/k.D075/Syria.htm

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kos-Kindness/159755314181314

No comments:

Post a Comment