Sunday, March 26, 2017

A Creative Space

I am SO excited about our reimagined upstairs loft space, I just have to share it!

 

When we first moved in, nearly 4 years ago (!?!), we built a neat custom desk for the loft. It was practical for a while - big enough for both Tom and I to have our computers set up at, along with the printer and router/modem. But we didn't really take into consideration just how close the desk was to the kids rooms, and how loud/bright it would be to work there after Maddie went to bed. So eventually Tom started working downstairs at the dining room table. Then we inherited an awesome antique desk from Tom's family, that weighed about 800 pounds too many to carry up the stairs, so we put it in our great room. It's a little unconventional to have the desk right by the front door, but functionally, it's perfect. Anyway, back to the loft, so the desk we built up there just became a spot to accumulate clutter and was rarely used. We talked about making the space into a "play room" but we already have toys downstairs and in Maddie's room. I just couldn't bear the thought of another messy toy zone. Then my mom gave us the best idea - an arts and crafts space!

Our old desk - I can't seem to find a single picture of the finished product (stained and decorated), argh.

So I ran with it. I brainstormed and Tom assembled. The brains and the brawn, per usual, when it comes to house projects around here. We set it up as a creative space for both Maddie and I to use. (Tom gets the garage for all his tools and projects, so it's fair right? I think he's so glad to see the loft being used that he doesn't feel too jipped on the deal.)

We shortened the desk to one wall where I put our printer and my Silhouette Cameo. We were able to keep the Craigslist filing cabinets, which I love, and we picked up a super cheap IKEA Snille desk chair that is surprisingly comfortable in my opinion.


On the long wall, we used IKEA's Trofast shelf system for all of Maddie's art supplies down low, and mine up high. Then we hung an IKEA Dignitet wire to display her art, and IKEA Fintorp buckets for crayons, markers, pencils, etc. I had fun labeling all of the storage using my Cameo! The little table is also from IKEA and the rug is from Wal-Mart.

 

I LOVE the way it turned out! Not to mention, we've been having so much fun up there! So far, Maddie has been well-behaved with her art supplies and is content to color/paint/glue while I get ready or put away laundry. We used to do our art projects at the kitchen table, but having a designated space upstairs and out of sight means we don't have to clean up after every project! Lazy mom win!

 

Now, if I could just an extra 3 hours in my day to craft, we'd really be all set :)

No comments:

Post a Comment