Sunday, October 20, 2013

The First Trimester: Just Like Tailgating (without the beer)

Today marks 13 weeks and 5 days of my first pregnancy. As I look forward to the second trimester, the pleasant "honeymoon phase" of the pregnancy, I've also been reflecting back on the exciting first trimester.

Thomas and I have never been simultaneously as nervous and excited as we were the morning we saw those two pink lines (or the next two days when we continued to retest just in case). We had wanted this, yes, but it was overwhelmingly now ours. Our pregnancy. Our baby. Our panic.

Should I make a doctor's appointment? Should we tell our parents? Should I take a vitamin? Is this riding in this old truck too bumpy? Can I ride in a golf cart? How common are miscarriages? How much weight will I gain? Can I take Tylenol? Will I have morning sickness? How will the dogs react? How will we pay for everything? Should we start saving for college now!?

There were many sleepless nights in the beginning. So many questions, so many butterflies in our stomachs. And honestly, that all lasted for quite a while! I still google something pregnancy related every day. I still worry about the occasional stomach pain, cheese I ate for lunch, cleaning product I'm using, doctor's appointment coming up, and on and on and on. The worry wart in me is out in full effect!

But we are also SO excited. These past two months have been so much fun. It was such a joy to share the news with our family and friends:
  
 And hearing the baby's heartbeat for the first time was surreal. There is really a tiny human being living and growing inside of me!? This concept still has not set fully in. And of course there's planning the nursery, thinking of names, and dreaming of our little baby coming home. We are so happy to leave some of the nervousness of the first trimester behind us, and move on to the (hopefully) less stressful second trimester.
 
But one last thought on my first trimester experience. 
 
Disclaimer: I fully understand the dangers of consuming alcohol during pregnancy, and I am not engaging in this behavior. I am simply making a humorous comparison.

 For me, the first trimester was a lot like tailgating... Like there was an evening football game, so we started tailgating at noon. What a fun afternoon of partying! Friends, family, food... frequent bathroom trips. As game time neared, I was worn out from an afternoon of day-drinking. By the end of the game, I was completely exhausted, down for the count. Straight to bed and up early the next day. But ugh, what a hangover! Nausea, headache, stomachache. Can I just stay in bed for a while? But by noon, I was ready for another day of tailgating!

I wonder what the second trimester will be like!?  I'm hoping the pregnancy honeymoon phase will be a day at the beach, but we shall see :)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment